Sunday, April 19, 2009

"Nesting"

I have five weeks left before I deliver and the nesting instinct is in full force. The drive for everything to be clean before the baby comes is almost obsessive and has taken over my life. Everywhere I look things are not clean enough for me. This past week not only have I done an extra thorough job on all my regular cleaning chores but I also spent most of Monday scrubbing the kitchen cabinets inside and out. Tuesday I pulled out all my baby clothes and washed and dried them. Wednesday I folded all the baby clothes and put them away. As I was folding them I was taken back at how small the clothes were. Sarah was only 6lbs 2oz when she was born and we had to buy a bunch of preemie clothes for her to wear because she was swimming in the newborn size clothes. I don't think we will need the preemie clothes with this baby but you never know. Anyways, it really made me stop and think about how fast you forget things as your children grow up. Especially when they are newborns. This is also a blessing because you forget how hard it is when they are first born. All the sleepless nights, the feedings on end and everything you give up. Of course it is all worth it and more but it's nice to forget the painful details, that way we want to have more kids later on.

So back to the nesting thing. I also went out and bought newborn diapers...how cute are they! I still have so much cleaning to do before this baby comes and I am trying to take it slow but that's very hard for me to do when it is such a driving force. My next cleaning project will be to clean all the door frames in the house (I just know there is lots of dust sitting on top of them) and scrub the baby's room top to bottom. I hope this drive slows down as I get things done but I'm sure it will never be as clean as I want it to be.

I am definitely ready, at least physically, for this baby to come. Things are getting so much more uncomfortable especially sleep. I usually stay awake until 11 or so at night because it's just getting so difficult. I can't see my feet anymore which is a sad thing for me because I love to paint my toenails. I think I will have to get a pedicure soon so my toes will look pretty during the delivery...not that I will care about that when the time comes but maybe it will make me feel better afterwards...ha ha! Also, this baby thinks she still has all the room in the world to move around when she doesn't. She still turns sideways sometimes which gets quite painful and even when she is head down she likes to dig into my pelvis and stick her butt out...ouch!

Despite all this complaining I am really excited for this new little one to come into our lives. I know she will be a great blessing to our family and will bring so much joy to us. I also know Sarah is going to be the best big sister. She talks about the baby all the time and loves to hug and kiss my tummy and tell the baby she loves her. We are still working on a name and have one in mind that I think we are going to go with but just can't make the final commitment to it yet. I think we will make the decision when we actually see the baby. We'll let you know!

4 comments:

Katie said...

WOW!! You are amazing! I have a small nesting feeling, but I don't want to do anything but SIT. My back is KILLING me and it is so hard to get up and down...I know, I know..complain, complain. Just a few more weeks and we'll both be done!! Good luck with everything!

Rachel said...

I can't believe you have the energy to do all of that! I haven't had that much energy for the past 4 years (pregnant or not!!!) And I don't think I have ever cleaned my door frames ... who does that? You are funny :)

I understand how uncomfortable you are -- since I was just there a few weeks ago. Just remember how amazing it will be to hold that beautiful newborn in your arms. I am still in awe at how much I love to snuggle with my baby boy. Babies are such a beautiful gift. I am so excited for you.

Hang in there ... you are so close. We will be eager to hear how it all goes.

Rachel said...

P.S. I'd love to see some pictures of your beautiful belly. :)

Unknown said...

Any baby yet? I have five weeks to go now & I am still not in that nesting phase whatsoever. I'm thinking it may not happen this time. I can't even begin to imagine having the energy to do any of that. This pregnancy has wiped me out! You're amazing!